Wednesday 15 September 2010

What a week!

Yes, happy campers, we have been having a fabulous time in the past week.

Munich was gorgeous. I love the combination of old and new, beer and pretzel, yarn and yarn. Because possibly the MOST exciting part of our visit was the trip to the Wollmeisse store in Pfaffenhofen.

For me, this was the one part of our honeymoon I have been looking forward to the most. And believe me, it did not disappoint!

We had arrived in Munich fairly late in the day, found our hostel and crashed. With an early start the next day, I kept dreaming that I'd slept in, kept waking up, and so of course was exhausted the next morning. We mare the train to Pfaffenhofen and the 20 min trip was full of pretty scenery and me jumping up and down in anticipation.

We walked into the village (thank you, Google maps), and it was as I'd hoped. As the shop came into view, the clouds parted, the ray of divine light shone down and the choir of angels struck up.

The shop was AMAZING. No, that's not right... I don't know the words. Let me try this... Knitters will know how fantastic it feels to receive a skein of WM in the mail, when you get to feel it and marvel at the cooler and texture and rub it against your cheeck. Well, imagine that times a WHOLE SHOP. There was even a whole wall of factory seconds called "Nobody's Perfect" skeins with only one knot in the whole skein. ONE KNOT!!! Take that, Noro!

The ladies of the shop were amazing. They smiled at me taking my "OMG the shop!!!!" photo out the front, then brewed us coffee. Real coffee! VUH was offered prime place on one of the Husband Couches and I tried to do a lap, but kept getting distracted by all the pretties and grinning like an idiot.

When I broke out the orders from hone, they helped me gather everything. I love these ladies.

We eventually had quite a lot of skeins, so VUH did a run to the ATM while I... I can't really remember, I think there was more yarn stroking and idiot grinning. I had to stop myself from saying "That's so pretty!" since EVERYTHING was so pretty!

Holy FSM, I have never, ever spent that much money on yarn. VUH reckons he has never spent that much on his geeky hobbies either.

We did a run to the local post office to send the plethora of yarn home and to the other eager recipients. Fun!

More to follow...

3 comments:

Rose Red said...

SO EXCITING!!! I think I would have ben hyperventilating te whole time!!

Yarna said...

Can't wait to see the photos - and what YOU bought, of course!

Helen said...

Helen -
I, too, am a yarn nut named Helen with a very understanding husband.

Do you have any recommendations for yarn shops in Budapest? I am hoping to find some Wollmeise there.

Thanks!

Helen